Gaming Done Write

You are to embark on a journey. Thrown into space, alone and vulnerable and we ask of you one thing. Tell us your stories; tell us about your journeys. Write down what you experience in these far off realms at the end of the universe. Write poetry, prose, fiction, non-fiction, simply write.

(edw)

That is the message in my own words that Elegy for a Dead World is trying to perceive. Hear me out, elegy for a dead world? Writing in general has, in recent years, slowly fallen away in our society. Everything is fast and easy and creativity flows in other directions. Many people don’t write because they think they can’t write. Honestly, they probably just don’t have the practice. Elegy for a Dead World allows for people who want to write, but maybe don’t have the experience or confidence an easy, fun outlet. In fact, Dejobaan Games even stated that:

“We created Elegy so that everyone can write. As you explore, the game helps you create the narrative.”

It really is brilliant what this game allows for people do to. As you encounter the different worlds Elegy will cue up a series of writing prompts.  

Having a prompt allows the player to jump right into writing.

These prompts are indicated with a small white quill. There are different prompts to choose from too!

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.34.54 PM

The above prompts are for Keats world.  As it has a prompt of “When I have Fears…” that goes off of his poem, “When I have Fears That I May Cease to Be.”  These different prompts allow for the writer to not get stuck, there is something for everyone.  There are different selections of prompts for each world also.  The different words would be the world for Lord Byron, John Keats, and Percy Bysshe Shelley.  

But wait, for a game that supports creativity, couldn’t the prompts be a tad stifling? No worries, Dejobaan Games thought of that too.  The prompts are just to get you started.  You can add anything before or after, or if you’re not feeling that particular wording, you can delete it all and start from scratch.  The prompts are just to get you started, a little lifeline if you find yourself slipping into the dark, cold waters of writers block.  You by no means have to use it.  

Also in recent news, and by recent I mean on March 20th, 2015.  There has been an update made to the game that allows for you to export your stories to HTML.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.27.54 PM

That is what makes this game so wonderful.  It allows for a community to be built around writing.  You can read whats popular, what has been made recently, you can even browse Steam or read from the writers that you have subscribed too.  I think this is an extremely important element to the game because community with writing is very important.  You can encourage people to write by liking their works by ‘commemorating’ them.  

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.31.03 PM

I recommend this game for anyone who enjoys writing.  Whether it be poetry or prose, it doesn’t matter.  This game allows for you to embark into beautiful worlds and be wrapped up in the world of writing.  The game is 14.99 through Steam and can be purchased for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Let us embark into a game done write.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.29.57 PM