Funny How Language Is An Art?!

Everything has reasoning behind it. So, to say the order of words, or the correct spelling, or grammar of them isn’t important,  you’d be lying to yourself. It has reasoning… We spell words a certain way for a reason, just like any other language. I found a great example on http://iloveepoetry.com/ that shows us that there is meaning behind correct spelling and correct grammar! I, particularly LOVED the video because I am an English major myself, and I know how irritating it gets (at least for me) when I see people on the internet misspelling words left and right… even in this day in age when we have auto-correct, we still see mistakes… it baffles me! 

Image result for word crimes

Word Crimes is the name of the video I found on the I <3 e-poetry website and it is a funny, and very practical way of informing audiences that choosing not to spell correctly or use the correct grammar does not make you look cool in any way, shape, or form… it makes you look like an uneducated imbecile. I think it is awesome that “Weird Al” Yankovic did a parody of Robin Thicke’s hit “Blurred Lines” and just inserted his own words and it still had a very nice flow to it! This video conveys imagery, lyrical structure, and kinetic typography. He uses kinetic typography to show his lyrics popping up on the screen and he shows images to go along with what he is saying, which compliment each other throughout the video very well! 

Image result for word crimes

Image result for word crimes

The opening of the video shows like a Webster’s Dictionary imitation and on it says “I Hate These Word Crimes”. I think the title of his video was very appropriate because a lot of linguists and English majors do consider incorrect soundings, spellings, and grammar to be, essentially, “word crimes”. For example, I hear this phrase misused a lot and even in this video, they pointed it out, which made me happy! 🙂 The phrase is “I could care less”…. WHY?! People need to understand that when you say you COULD care less, it means that you do care somewhat, and usually when people say that phrase, they are trying to mean that they don’t care about someone or something…. it’s got to be “I couldn’t care less”!!! Also, like in the above photo, people will often substitute letters for the words, such as: “k” for okay and “u” in I love you… All you have to do is add an “yo” people, not that difficult! I am one of those people who proofreads papers anywhere and if you are reading a text out loud to the class and you mispronounce a word, I will correct you… I can’t help it, haha.

Image result for word crimes

Another thing I thought was appropriate in this video is how he showed how dumb it looks to write words and insert numbers into your words.. it’s not cool guys, so why do it? I can understand the world of text messaging and if you are in a hurry, sometimes using “k” instead of okay, but if you were to write a scholarly paper and use words like: I writ lik dis, I lik word5…. you would get an automatic F from most of your professors. It’s not appealing to look at or read either. In the video, he does mention at one point about never using quotation marks to emphasize what you are saying, and I will admit, I am guilty as charged for doing that. But when it comes down to it, Yankovic is 100% right about these being word crimes.. No one should spell like an idiot just for the hell of it and yes, grammar can be tricky, but it doesn’t hurt to TRY to succeed at it! 

Image result for word crimes

I am just going to say that I absolutely LOVED this video. It made me laugh and you see the realization of the world today and how many people are so incorrect when it comes to reading, writing, and interpreting our language and words correctly. I can’t express how happy this video made me though! 😀

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc[/youtube]