Duck Ted Bundy: Craigslist vs. Ducklist

Say what you want but if you have ever been bored, desperately horny, or a little curious, then you have indeed ventured to the relationship posts on Craigslist.  Maybe you didn’t “partake in all the fun”, but even if you only read some of the obscure post then you have witnessed some of the nitty gritty.

Coleoptera-Kinbote’s Duck Ted Bundy parallels the “dark side” of Craigslist.  Duck Ted Bundy parodies craigslist in the most creepy and hilarious way.  The narrator insinuates that you are a man attempting to disguise himself as a duck, yes a duck.  You learn the language and attempt to make friends with a variety of ducks.  There is one caveat.  You have an uncontrollable urge to KILL KILL KILL!  As you meet new and interesting ducks in the pond community you are given the option to be a good samaritan “bro” and you are also given the option to kill your new ducky friends.  The game is not meant to be challenging, in fact there are no repercussions for your killing spree.  There is even a map in the sidebar so you can check off all the locations you have killed at.

photo 3 (1) photo 1 (1)

For the most part the ducks welcome you into their homes.  The pond is like Craigslist in that it is a community of a variety of individuals.  Like the people that go to craigslist to post for relationships the ducks are naively inviting to you, a stranger and imposter.  As you go through the twine there are pictures of the ducks.  Warning: some pictures are a little more “riskay” than others but it wouldn’t be duck craigslist if they weren’t.

photo 2 (1)

I recommend interacting with this twine.  It shows significant portrayals of vulnerability, desperation for connection, as well as the mask some of us put on to prevent ourselves from exposing the real us.  All though this twine shows social media as a free for all anything goes place, I do think that the anonymity one has in communities like Craigslist is slowly phasing out.  There are more regulations and instances where one has to prove to the community that they are who they say they are like on Facebook or LinkedIn.  But there are still risk and loopholes to that red tape.  Therefore the culture of craigslist still remains, at least for now.  So I leave you with these wise words from Sir Gump,”Craigslist is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get”.

6 comments for “Duck Ted Bundy: Craigslist vs. Ducklist

1. bmytelka
    April 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I made the mistake of playing this game in class. The duck penises are not really safe for class.

I’m not too familiar with Craigslist or any familiar site, but this painted a pretty disturbing one of it. These sort of games generally aren’t disturbing, but Duck Ted Bundy captured an uncomfortable feeling unlike anything else we’ve played. It is so unashamedly morbid that you don’t really know what was going through the author’s mind while making it.

Still, I like this piece as a way of creating and executing an IF theme beyond “things are weird, surreal, and you just feel lost in a landscape.” It captured a sense of nihilism and dread that would normally take a traditional novel pages upon pages to build up to. Duck Ted Bundy feels slightly believable (if you can look past the duck theme), and it’s good to see the work perfectly capture what it was trying to attempt.

2. kutoof
    April 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm

When I first started reading your post, I was a little confused but the more that I read it I thought it was really funny the way that you wrote your blog and expressed your feelings. The whole duck concept cracked me up and I simply just did not understand it.
    I like how you write your analysis within your summary. I think it clarifies what you are trying to convey. I also liked you’re reading of the twine game and the interpretations that you suggest. The only thing that I can honestly recommend to you is to try to analyze why ducks where chosen as the characters to play with.

3. mstough
    April 14, 2014 at 12:20 am

I think it’s really interesting that ducks were chosen to represent a new kind of Craigslist. Fun fact: duck sex is really intense and duck genitalia has evolved in very strange and interesting ways to make procreation a very violent act, sometimes resulting in the female duck’s death. Thus I find it interesting that the violent, weird sex lives of ducks are being used to mirror the mating habits of humans present on Craigslist.

4. Cameron Hodge
    April 14, 2014 at 8:03 am

Not necessarily relevant to the electronic aspect of the work, but I find it interesting how it uses one element (ducks) to make what would otherwise be deeply strange, disturbing and nihilistic messages into a weird sort of comedy. It’s almost textbook absurdism in the way it presents itself, seemingly taking itself completely seriously if one doesn’t consider the fact that it’s entirely about ducks.

I don’t rightly know what the takeaway is, aside from perhaps the notion that there isn’t going to be a takeaway, but it’s certainly one of the more intriguing pieces we’ve seen.

5. karmakona
    April 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

This is hilarious! What a perfect way to shape craigslist into a parody. Thanks for finding it and sharing it! The piece does a great job at mocking the way different people present themselves on such websites, while still bringing a bit of narrative to the mix. My first impression is that this was created for the sole purpose of spoofy a recent cultural phenomenon.

However, I am intrigued about the aspect of wanting to kill every connection found on the duck craigslist. Does this speak to the dangerous nature of these somewhat anonymous websites? Or is it more commentary on the obsession with the act of killing in games? A similar discussion can be found in mstange’s “King of Bees in Fantasy Land” http://elit.umwblogs.org/2014/04/13/king-of-bees-in-fantasy-land/#comments