Response to “Willy Shakes”

As a Twitter Bot, Willy Shakes is one of the most well known. As it tweets a line from a Shakespearean play every 10 minute, it melds with each follower’s dashboard creating a unique experience for each person. To get the true affect of Willy Shakes, you have to follow it to see how it affects your timeline.

I really enjoy this bot, because unlike others it doesn’t seem like it exists just to annoy people. Willy Shakes really is all about the story that is created on each individual timeline, not about Shakespearean plays in general. I think it makes Shakespeare more accessible in a way because almost everyone has twitter now. This bot is another way that Shakespeare can be taught in schools, especially the way he played with words. Breaking the plays down sentence by sentence forces you to focus on what’s happening that that particular part linguistically and not canonically. Everyone who has ever studied Shakespeare knows that he invented hundreds of words, but they sometimes get loss or muddled because of how tedious his work can be to read. This bot makes it less tedious only giving the follower 140 characters to digest every 10 minutes.

1 comment for “Response to “Willy Shakes”

1. kutoof
    April 12, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I have to say that I appreciate your blog post on a twitter bot. I haven’t read any posts about twitter bots so I was pretty excited to see what you had to say about them. You give a short summary of the Willy Shakes twitter bot but fail to give out any examples of its tweets.
    I like that you give insight of the bot itself and how it can benefit readers in different ways. I really did hope that you would choose some of his tweets and analyze them. It would make your points more elaborated and interesting. You have good solid points but need to back them up with evidence from examples of tweets from the twitter bot. Another suggestion is to read and go through some of the comments that readers of those tweets posts and go through them to give a broader understanding of Willy Shakes.