Let’s go for a Joyride

Joyride by Andy andCampbell and  is apart of the Dreaming Method series. The first opening images are a series of photo shots showing what appears to have been a car accident. Which is a total contradiction to the title, Joyride. Unless of course the car ride was a joyful one before the accident.

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 5.06.25 PM

There is a great use of images and sound in this interactive fiction. There are twelve images that you can click on and each image shows a different part of the car. When you click on each image, a series of words appear. It’s hard to determine exactly what the words represent but it seems that depending on each image, it either tells you what happened before, during, or after the accident. The words are also shown in different sizes representing the effect and would could have been louder, what was the bigger impact, etc, within the “joyride.”
 Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 5.06.44 PM
There doesn’t seem to be a particular order to why the images were arranged as they were, except for the fact that it seems that we start off looking at the car from afar, then observing the inside of the car and even further into the details such as the cracked windshield or missing tire. Finally, at the end of the “sequence,” we are again looking out to the car in a somewhat more understandable way of the accident. This series shows how either a police officer or detective would look at the car.
When you hover over each of the images, a sound similar to a rapid heart beat plays through. But when you actually click on the images, a sound of camera clicks plays through. The sound of the rapid heart beats represents the people that were in the car accident itself right before it happened. Whereas the the camera clicks signify the investigators looking into the car after the accident. The visual of when you hover over the images, is a quick flashing representing camera flashes of the investigators.
The very last image showcases a phrase The Waste of Child which is a compelling end of the “story.” It leads to the questions of if there was only one person in the automobile, or that there were two irresponsible adults were driving, killing their own child, or it could raise the question of how teens get into car accidents for multiple different reasons.
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 5.06.55 PM
What does this IF mean to you? Do you think this is a good representation of how to show a car accident? Let me know in the comments down below!

4 comments for “Let’s go for a Joyride

1. bosco1213
    March 30, 2014 at 11:33 pm

After going through this IF, I believe it is telling the story of a few teenagers who are driving recklessly in a stolen car. I assume that it is teenagers because of the sound of laughter that plays on one of the photos. To me, it seems like the accident was caused by one of them racing and then losing control of the car. They then ditched it because the car didn’t belong to them. Not too sure what “The Waste Of Child” is referring to other than the teenagers wasted a perfectly good car. That’s just my interpretation. I wonder if they eventually got caught?
    Nice read and interesting IF.

2. scolliga
    March 31, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I agree with bosco, this definitely had a thick atmosphere of wild, hormonal youth about it that made me think it was a car full of teenagers that got into an accident. The phrases on the images made me think of this too. You picked a great one to showcase in this post, in which the damaged dashboard is shown with the words “louder, got it, beat, faster.” “Faster” and “louder” are definite indicators of reckless teenage joyriding, and with the response phrase “got it,” you can guess that this would be a piece of dialogue before their accident, as they turned their music up and drove faster. I thought this work was a great way to approach the material without being too heavy handed like a health class video anything like that. Great choice!

3. mstange
    April 6, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I think you all are pretty right about this one. There narrative and message here seem to be pretty straight forward and simple. The lack of substantive text really seems to kind of be a trope of these early 2000’s E-Lit I’ve noticed. The grainy film quality as well. It is interesting because it always seems to give a piece a sort of spooky quality to it. That there is a disconnect between the reader and the writer. At least there is more of a disconnect than there usually is. Here, though the reader can easily figure out what is going on. Or at least were are mostly in consensus about what is going on. My guess would be that we probably know just as much as the person who took the pictures.

4. Bekka
    April 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I agree with everyone else – this is about teenagers joyriding and crashing. This piece really reminded me of the scare tactics of drivers ed: ‘Be safe on the road or you’ll die.’ It wasn’t nearly as heavy-handed, but still brought about the haunting sense of watching videos of car wrecks and the same somber tone. I wonder how this would have worked differently if the reader wasn’t a detatched entity.