The Graveyard

This was by all means a boring game. I understand the underlying messages the game has but still very uneventful. I could not bring myself to pay the five dollars just to see the old woman die. She may have seemed like she was only waiting for death while sitting in the graveyard, but that doesn’t mean that I want to see her die, let alone pay to see her die. I watched a clip of her death on youtube to save the money and still experience every aspect of the game but it didn’t add very much for me. The game was depressing from the beginning and to add her death to it would just make it morbid. Though when I look at the game from a literary standpoint, to read this woman’s journey through the graveyard would be much more interesting. The song was a good choice, it added an interesting dynamic to the game. The recounting of all these other people’s deaths through songs was a nice addition. It made me feel that it was her remembering how all the people in her life had died. Again very depressing but the song was the best example of literary value in the game. All in all I don’t think I have gained much understanding of life from this game but perhaps I am not looking deeply enough into the game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBcECCp5EvY[/youtube]

1 comment for “The Graveyard

1. George Bowles
    April 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

I can’t say I was a huge fan of this game either, but I would say that her dying was probably less dark and depressing than her sitting there alone thinking about dying and all of the people that have died. I didn’t understand why this was made into a video game, when a movie would have almost the exact same effect. Maybe there is some underlying value in putting us in the woman’s shoes, but there didn’t seem to be much game play for the user to really develop a relationship with the character.