Code Movie 1

Okay, so Code Movie 1 is a very interesting and kind of seductive form of electronic literature.  I found it in here under the Electronic Literature Collection Volume 1.  As soon as I pressed ‘begin’, I was captivated with what seemed to be a text movie.  What I mean by that is this: Many authors and artists working in electronic media are exploring the concept of codework, interrogating the nature of digital artifacts as products of multilayered transcription beneath the surface level of the computer screen. Without using any words, Beiguelman’s Code Movie 1 treats the hexadecimal code of JPG images as a signifier in its own right.  That is the description taken from the page linked previously.  Here are a couple screenshots of what the text looks like.

Obviously the stills don’t do a justice, but the text is literally dancing around the screen as the music plays in the background.  You see, I LOVE movies.  This takes the element of a movie down to it’s roots.  This is literally moving text and numbers and that is exactly what a movie is.  When we watch a movie, we see pictures that are moving.  Instead of the pictures though, the artist has taken a new spin on the movie aspect.  I guess that is why I enjoyed this so much was because of how involved I found myself so quickly.  I know it’s a little short, but it seems to really speak volumes to what electronic literature is to me.  The other Checkpoints that I have done focus on a story or some sort of crazy and abstractness.  This, however, really shows what the beginning of electronic literature really means.  Instead of just seeing the text on a page, this is literally moving around and dancing on the screen.  To me, all of the other checkpoints that I have made are really flashy and showy in terms of the content.  This is the most basic form that can possibly be created.  There is nothing to click on and there is nothing that you do other than watch the different forms that the letters and numbers create.  I love how simple and yet how elegant it is.  I must have watched it six or seven times before creating this just because how interesting it was to me.

Here is the author description of Code Movie 1: Code Movies are made with hex, ASCII, and binary codes extracted from JPG images. Saved as simple text, they are reworked and edited in Flash. They are part of a larger project I’ve been working on since 2004 (//**Code_UP). The submitted work (Code Movie 1) is made of hexa code. The project interrogates the role of the code in meaning construction and the new forms of translations that digital languages embody. It questions: Now that the Cybertext confuses itself with the notion of Place (a web address, for example) and that Image only reveals itself through a “hyperinscription” (a URL), can we think in a poetics of transcodification between media and file formats? Can we keep talking about “WYSIWYG” utopias? How does it affect our ways of reading, seeing, and perceiving?

Obviously this is extremely important to electronic literature as a whole and I believe that people should watch it because of how down to earth and straight to the roots this is.  There is nothing other than what it is.  There is nothing that you need to focus on other than what is on the screen and I find that very important to understanding electronic literature.  You can’t appreciate something without knowing the basic elements of it.  The 3D like effect of Code Movie 1 is extremely important as well because it not only shows the text moving around on the screen, but in different dimensions as well.  I believe that the creators of this are extremely intellectual.

I don’t think that the other electronic literature examples in the volume either 1 or 2 are as simple as this one.  They all seem to be the same to me.  Trying to find something that really stood out was difficult.  In my opinion, each of the different ones that I clicked on all had a different premise but they all seemed to follow the very abstract and crazy style to get to the end.  It just seemed like I wasn’t finding anything that really stood out.  To me, that is very important when talking about electronic literature as well.  You need to find something that stands out from all of the other piece and, in my opinion, this did JUST that.  I hope that you are getting as much out of this as I am because I really think that this is very important in trying to determine what electronic literature is.

Also, if you found this interesting, there is a whole Code Movie project that can be found here!