Thinking outside the box

Everytime I sit down to work on something in Inform7, I get this image of myself at my own pannel at ComicCon, answering questions from ravenous fans about my amazing game, “Faction 11”.

I’m using Inform to explore the world of a story I orignially had in mind for a novel. I’ve never written science fiction before, and I needed all of the resources I could get my hands on to try and flesh out my new universe. I’m using Inform to explore the world I’ve created, and using the map function to get a graphic idea of where things are located physically. It’s working kind of brilliantly.

The map function is magnificent in its own right, because I find this method of mapping to be the easiest when planning an Inform story. Plus, it gives me a list of objects in each room, so I can make sure everything is where its supposed to be.

After coding the game, I love getting a chance to play it. The coding and the playing allow me to explore character actions and plot points I may not have thought of before. This method of brainstorming for a story gives me the chance to see what details are necessary when telling a story, expecially when foreshadowing. If I know that a code is needed to enter a room, I know I have to plant the code in the world at some point beforehand, where I know the player will be able to find it. This same logic transfers nicely when I’m writing the story in traditional form, because I get a sense of when I should reveal certain information to the reader. I pretty much love everything about working with Inform.

I plan on creating a game, a hypertext story, and perhaps another electronic medium (twitterature?!) to explore every facet of “Faction 11”. Not only is elit a marvelous tool to use when writing t