Geocaching: A High-Tech Easter Egg Hunt

We live in a day and age where most people spend hours behind their computer screen, engaged in some form of an online world. Geocaching is a unique way to be involved in an online community while still active and present in the “real world.”

When we talked about geocaching in class, I had no idea what it was. Never heard of it. So I decided to do some research…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7SF-Axvyg[/youtube]

This video basically sums up what geocaching is, a high tech easter egg/scavenger hunt. The evolution of the GPS in 2000, allowing for more accurate GPS satellite representation started the revolution of geocaching. Geocaching.com names David Ulmer as the first to place a cache, posting the coordinates online leading to a black bucket with various items inside. The idea caught up with other readers, and began the community that now plays “grown up hide and seek.” Ulmer set the trend for leaivng a notepad to list all the people that found the cache, and if it travels, where it has gone. Swapping items also still stands as a major part of geocaching. This hobby has become so much easier too with the development of GPS enabled smart-phones! Ulmer didn’t have that kind of convenience though. Check out his story of the first online initiated geocaching after the GPS upgrade in 2000.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHZcgM11GU[/youtube]

Since hide-and-seek was my favorite game as a kid, I instantly fell in love with the idea of it. I looked online and there are so many caches in Fredericksburg. Geocaching.com has pages and pages (22 to be exact in only 10 miles!!) of caches scattered around Fredericksburg. There are so many different types of caching available. Some are more scavenger hunt like called a “Multi or Offset cache”, another type is called “Challenge Cache” where you have to take a picture of doing something, or a simple traditional cache where you simply find the item. There are MANY MANY others too.

I’m so excited about geocaching that I’m going with a few friends this weekend. I’m hoping to find a scavenger hunt like geocaching adventure and travel all around Fredericksburg, finding these geocaches that always existed but I never saw.

If you want to try it out (make it a family event for Easter), go to this page and it gives you a huge list of all the caches in Fredericksburg.

1 comment for “Geocaching: A High-Tech Easter Egg Hunt

1. March 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

It’s been a few days now, so did you get to go out geocaching? How did it go?