Cell Phone Bacteria Scanner

Looking at a popular science website I came across a very interesting new invention from UCLA. It is an attachment for your cell phone that scans your food for different types of bacteria including e coli. Not only is this an important innovation for food safety but also incredible that it can be attached to your mobile phone. According to the article, “Engineers at UCLA combined quantum dots, a type of tiny semiconductor, with capillaries containing antibodies. When the capillaries contain an E. coli sample, they emit light.” The device is similar to a microscope except it uses light particles to show the bacteria.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-02/new-cell-phone-scanner-finds-e-coli-your-food 

2 comments for “Cell Phone Bacteria Scanner

1. ebrennan
    February 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm

This is cool, I guess but it seems like some more extraneous technology. I cannot recall a time in my life when me or anyone I was with was concerned about the e coli presence in their food. The only time in my experience someone is worried about that is after the fact, when they’re already throwing up. So while this is cool because of its functionality and mobility, it just seems needless to me.

2. Chelsea
    March 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

This is crazy! I can just imagine people using this in restaurants to scan all of their food. Not sure how I feel about this. Does it just scan for E Coli or for ALL bacteria..because I’m sure all the food we consume is COVERED in bacteria and therefore I don’t think I would want to know what gross things I may be eating, haha.