Glitch Art

Last week, in class, we briefly discussed the glitch based electronic art form and how innovative people like the folks behind Jodi.org are creating new, interesting ways to represent this heavily electronic based genre. When I first visited jodi.org, I have to admit, it was a bit jaring at first. After trying the website out a few different times, it quickly became very fascinating to me. I love the idea that each time you enter the site you are immediately transported to a different experience than the times before.

This creative element instantly puts the user in a captivating predicament. You must figure out how exactly you are supposed to interact with each piece. The experience of  the user, many times, is dependent upon how they choose to interact with each piece adding yet another layer of complexity to this art form. It only makes the experience that more interesting to mention that in most cases there are no directions on how to interact and very few indications are given. Each piece is like a puzzel in which the builder is not aware of how many pieces they have, how they fit together or what they are supposed to be constructing.

Here is a piece of Glitch Art that was created by manipulating an image.

This is a classic Example of Glitch Art entitled Chroma.

This simple fact confuses some users who argue that because of the lack of instructions or indications on how to interact with these works it can not really be considered a valid genre of high art. Though some find it perplexing, this media form has even inspired a tangible art form that is also called glitch art. In this art form, artist use many different media techniques that are commonly connected to computer glitches to manipulate images or even embody a glitch in and of itself. As I looked more into this art form I found that many critics of high art were not as excepting of this particular art form as others.

In response to this I found a quote that Professor Whalen mentioned in class regarding this view, he said with a chuckle that, ” Yes, it is high art, in that is is created by people who understand it and is presented as a means in showing how smart they are.”  I agree with our professor. Though art, much like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder, I feel that no one can ignore all the intriguing complexities that Glitch based media has to offer. It seems that the rise in popularity of the glitch based art is only an indication that there are far more fans than critics of this interesting new genre.

4 comments for “Glitch Art

1. February 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

If you like glitch art, check out this tool which lets you easily glitch your own images.

2. July 20, 2012 at 6:53 am

Thanks for posting those two images from my collection of works. The first one was not made by manipulating an image, though. It’s a scan of a banknote (US: “bill”) with acetates of glitchy images laid on top.

3. July 26, 2012 at 10:20 am

Thanks so much for clarifying your creative process. Your work is amazing and I always love to hear back from the artists themselves. Thank-you again for your comment it made my day!

4. Louis Ross
    August 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

Hi,

I think this is amazing! is there any other resources relating to glitch art?