Augmented Reality

WIth the mention of google’s new augmented reality glasses I was intrigued. Partly because I don’t really know what augmented reality is. So I looked into it. It is the view of the real world through a computer generated simulation. In other words with an iPhone one can turn on the camera and look at the world while the phone pops up some information about the world around you. You can take a picture of a street sign, a restaurant or a store and the phone can take you to the website of each or simply give a brief synopsis while the image is still on the screen. Augmented reality glasses seem rather bothersome to me. I would be annoyed to constantly have things popping up in my vision especially if I was driving. Maybe while touring a certain city or area it would be nice to have a little extra information at each stop. But for me it seems to be just another gimmicky and incredibly expensive invention. This is my opinion of course and many would call me old fashioned. Though since there is no real report besides a picture of a pair of sunglasses that oakley came out with a few years ago designed to be sunglasses and mp3 combined, I may eat my words later and have to have a pair of these augmented reality glasses.

2 comments for “Augmented Reality

1. September 20, 2012 at 9:34 am

Very interesting. We could use such a thing in a cars or buses.

2. egajeton
    January 20, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I actually feel like this might be a representation of how our society is gradually becoming more and more distracted by things. To me, the constant bringing up of information about what is being seen can further represent how we, as human beings, are constantly getting distracted and going on tangents. Whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing is up to personal opinion and perspective, but I do find it interesting that there is now technology to simulate things like that.