Golpe de Gracia: Una Historia Interactiva

For this blog post I decided to go a little farther out of my comfort zone and play an Interactive Fiction game that was written in Spanish.  I have to brush up on my Spanish anyways, so this would be a good start. I used the E-Literature Collection to find the game.  Golpe de Gracia is a narrative hypermedia game created by Jaime Alejandro Rodriguez, who wanted to create a game that combined digital story telling and computer mediated gaming. The game incorporated four different degrees of interaction ranging from following directions to interpreting clues found in the game. Rodriguez also incorporates education and communication in this game by having the player work toward a collective knowledge. Lastly, this game has also won an award, which can be found on the game page linked earlier. Golpe de gracia won the I Premio UCM/Microsoft: Literaturas en Español del Texto al Hipermedia on the category of “Literatura digital de creación en lengua española.” 

The player begins in a room with a man laying in a hospital bed connected to a few machines. There are three visitors that the man has, and the player clicks through their dialog with the man. On the bottom of the game screen there are four other characters, which just adds to the confusion. The player starts with the “jefe” or boss, the next person is the priest, then a teacher, and lastly a father. Each one of these characters has three visitors, as mentioned before. While they talk to the person on the hospital bed, the player can hear the voices, but cannot see the person. We see an outline of the person, as though they are a shadow. Below the different characters on the screen, there are three doors that look similar to hospital doors. They are labeled “Cadáver exquisito,” “Línea mortal” and “Muerte digital.” Meaning, respectively, Exquisite Corpse, Mortal Line, and Digital Death. 

The boss’s first visitor had some pretty not nice things to say to him, while the second one talked about how the boss treated his employees terribly. The last visitor really tells you how it is by starting his commentary with “I warned you…” 

The priests first visitor talks about how great his sermons were and that his words will always be in their hearts. The second visitor says that his words were all lies and his intentions were bad, which is super shocking. Even more interesting, the third visitor for the priest laughs and also says “I warned you…” This game is getting good. 

The teacher has two visitors who talk about how he helped them get their best education, and the last person also says “I warned you…” 

The father also has two visitors who talk about how great he is, but he also has the last person who says they warned him. 

Next I went to the Línea Mortal. In this section you play as a person who can walk around and has to interact with his surroundings. Talking to other characters helps gather puzzle pieces, but there are demons that we have to avoid or they start your game over. Pressing the space bar breaks barrels but I’m not sure what those barrels do. The narrative part of the dialog was going too quickly for me to really understand, so I mostly played through with the hope of understanding it as I went. 

The last section is the digital death section, so I jumped to that one after dying a few times in the second section. This section has the player investigating the death of the priest. Most of this section I got through by clicking and guessing correctly. I don’t want to spoil the game ending, but I liked playing this because there were a few games inside of the whole game that all tied the narrative together. I liked the challenge of playing a game in a language I needed a lot of practice with. It was more interactive that way.