Beautifully eerie

This week I came across a new type of text adventure called The House Abandon. It falls under the horror genre and is easily the best horror game I have played in a while. The game is coded in Unity, which is a cross-platform game engine developed by Unity Technologies for development of video games for PC, consoles, mobile devices and websites. This game was very different from other similar games I’ve played because it used a background that kept changing as the story unfolded. The concept is great, it is well executed and well thought through.

The atmosphere of the game is creepy and eerie with sound effects that turn the tension up quick and in a hurry. Unfortunately it’s a pretty short game, and the parser was annoying at times because the game didn’t seem to understand simple commands that were very similar to each other. But it was definitely possible to work around it though, it was far from a deal breaker.

When looking at the big picture this game reminded me of the Netflix original show Stranger Things, which was a show whose concept I really enjoyed. If I could improve anything in this game, I would wish it was longer with some puzzles to solve as you progress through the story. Overall, it was a really cool game. I loved the concept and was definitely creeped out while playing it last night.

house abandon

1 comment for “Beautifully eerie

1. hmoseley
    February 21, 2017 at 2:16 am

Personally, I’m not fond of playing horror games myself and would much rather watch someone play it instead. Based on what you’ve written about though, this game seems to cast an eerie feel that leaves the player in suspense. It helps that the game play also has the tones and colors and even the music as sensory aides to help establish a more creepy or horror-like feel to the game. Although the game is short, it probably allows a better control and understanding for the player and if the creator ever needed to go back and fix the game. The kind of software used to create it is interesting, as I have never heard of it before, but it seems like a good choice for the purposes of this game.