The Evolution of the Dwarf

Dwarf Fortress is a donation-funded free game for Windows, OSX, and Linux. Tarn and Zach Adams are the creators of this complex game, and the founders of Bay 12 Games. These brothers created Bay 12 Games in 2000, so they could release their games for free on the internet. Dwarf Fortress has been in development since 2002 and was first released in 2006 and improving it ever since. Like I stated before, this is a very complex game and may take some time to get used to. Dwarf Fortress involves taking a band of dwarves and building them into a miniature civilization. This includes all the implied strategy and resource management: assigning jobs, collecting and storing goods, building and using structures, and eventually defending yourself against other civilizations. If you play this game once one you will remember is the text within the game. The text is presented in sixteen colors, along with blood-soaked punctuation marks scattered everywhere like there was some type of explosion. The latest version of this game was released in 2014, and focused on improving the with Fortress mode. This game consists of two modes, which are Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode. 

Dwarf 1dwarf 2

Basically, Dwarf Fortress is two games in one. In the newest release, the two modes interact more than ever before. In Fortress Mode, the player acts as the leader or overmind of hundreds of dwarves, each fulfilling their own directives. The latest version brings subtle improvements to this mode. Meaning, this mode increased connections to the outside world. Adventure Mode, on the other hand, allows you to take control of a single dwarf in a massively complex simulated world full of tragedy, gore, and glory. Also, you have the option to be a dwarf, human, elf, or any other species, which I thought was pretty cool. Another difference between the two modes is Fortress Mode is real-time play, while Adventure Mode consists of turn-by-turn play. 

Dwarf Fortress is not as hard to play as you think it is, but there’s no denying that its graphics lack modern clarity. First, I found the game to be very frustrating, however, after awhile of playing I started to get the hang of it. This game requires you to think in many ways. Meaning, your last move could impact your next move or vice versa. When I first started playing it reminded of the SIMS, and I loved that game as a kid. I really enjoyed playing Dwarf Fortress, and I’m looking forward to the improvements in the next version.