The Hunt for the Gay Planet: It’s like a Star Wars porno

Written by Anna Anthropy in 2013, “The Hunt for the Gay Planet” is just as quirky and fun as the title suggests. Not surprisingly, the title caught my attention and after seeing that it hadn’t been written about, I just had to choose this one. With a title that pulls from classic adventure films but adds a futuristic and sexual element, I don’t know how anybody could pass on this.

The story was written in the second person, which sent put the reader on an interactive journey through space, looking for a solitary planet called “Lesbionica,” a paradise for lesbians of all species to gather and hook up all they want. But the speaker didn’t arrive at the paradise on first try. The interactive options allowed me to choose which planets to explore and which turns to take. Unlike forked path stories and poems we’ve already read, this story stopped you and turned you back if you chose the wrong direction, which I enjoyed a lot.

Some of the planets explored were very clearly not Lesbionica and others I would explore for a while before an over-the-top humorous moment sent me back to my ship. For example, after a while of exploring and dramatic buildup, I found a giant, psychic being that communicated with me telepathically and asked “Do you have a boyfriend?” Me, being a lesbian in the story, become very upset and marched back to the ship. Humor such as this was common place throughout the story and made it very enjoyable to continue with.

The second person form was also a great touch because I felt involved in the story and invested in the journey. I just really wanted to find a lesbian partner.  After I finished the journey and took over the planet (long story), I backtracked and clicked on options I hadn’t yet checked and to my comfort, they all led to the same outcome, my overthrow of the Queen. 

https://annaanthropy.selz.com/item/53fcd9f2b798720d906f9c37

The writing of this story was very informal and witty. It made it easy for a young person such as myself to enjoy reading and interacting with it yet at the same time, the story was very descriptive and unpredictable. The idea of a lesbian planet for different species was very interesting to me. If we do get to a point in the future where beings with tentacles and six eyes can casually mingle with humans across galaxies, why would the need for a “Gay Planet” exist? By that point (probably millions of years into the future) wouldn’t the idea of being gay and lesbian be so common-place that it need not be distinguished, let alone exiled to a deserted planet? However, I could see the side where the need would come in when a woman wouldn’t have to guess other women’s interests. 

Apart from that one bit of confusion, the journey was very vivid, interactive, funny, just touches on the sexual side of things, and provides a big plot twist at the end; everything I want in a story.