Response to Nightingale’s Playground

This is a response to Nightingale’s Playground.

Nightingale’s Playground sounds like a interesting game. I like how it gives a “Twilight Zone”-like feel to it, leaving the player/reader confused about what is actually happening in the story. Alex and Carl’s question on of reality reminds me a little bit of Inception, where the main character’s wife believes that the real world is just a dream, and commits suicide, believing that she will wake up. Alex’s suicide is a little bit like that, but there is no way of telling if he was delusional or not. A while ago, I posted a blog about a downloadable video game called Ib. Like Nightingale’s Playground, it is a rather suspenseful video game, in which the the in-game characters have their own perception of the world around them. Alex believes that the Earth is taken over by The Sentinel, but is never revealed if he was right. In Ib, when two of the main characters (Ib and Gary) enter a world within an art museum, they have different points of view. Ib is a nine-year-old girl, and does not see anything wrong with the mysterious world. Gary is a grown man that knows that the world is not normal, which makes him cautious about it while Ib is rather curious. Ib has multiple endings, which leads to various speculations, just like Alex’s fate in Nightingale’s Playground. I think the two games are able to get the attention of the player by making them curious about what is the truth in the story’s game. They have an aura of mystery to them, and players would want to know more. It also tests how the player speculates what’s actually going on in the games, giving them the chance to decide for themselves what happens after the game is over.