The Importance of Online Resumes or Why You Should Already Have One.

With an emphasis placed throughout the semester in class on the computer, the digital as a viable medium, I couldn’t help but start creating an online resume.

Seeing as how I hope to go to grad school for media studies, an online resume is particularly appropriate for me, but with computers becoming more and more assimilated with everyday life by the year, I would advocate that everyone make one if the means are available.

Aside from it just being good to show potential employers/grad schools/etc. that you are familiar enough with computers to successfully create an online  resume and make it look good, an online resume gives you an avenue to expand upon the usual “1-page” limit with photos, more information, and a portfolio.

Since most all of us are now “google-able,” it also helps to have a resume that will pop up via searches. That way, aside from all of the pictures of you drinking, toking up, doing stupid things, of the posts you make of message boards saying stupid things, etc., (this is said half-jokingly, I know that there are good things too) it gives people a chance to see more than the thumbprint that you’ve left along your “surf.”

Here is the resume that I have been working on for a majority of the semester.

The picture, while exemplifying my personality, is probably not “professional” enough for a resume, and is thus acting as a placeholder for the moment.

However, similarly to a copy resume, I’ve chosen to keep the layout relatively simple (and with wordpress, which if you haven’t messed with yet, you should (seriously, go create an account on UMW Blogs ).

As you can see, the online resume also allows you to add links to other pages of yours, such as twitter or linkedIn, you can even put up a twitter feed to let visitors know what you have most recently been up to (probably not a good idea if you are going to tweet about lunch. The retweet there from a friend of mine is a good example of what not to post. I retweeted it because I thought it was funny.

I guess this picture explains the humor of social media pretty well.

Tangent over.

It’s also probably a good idea to put a .doc/x or PDF version/copy version of your resume up online for people to download and print off for themselves. There are always a few people that prefer printed copies, but if they ask for one you can send them to the site to print it and get them to look anyways! (tricky!)

Hopefully this post will convince some of you to get started on an online resume. It can only help you.

And heck, if you have any suggestions for mine, I’d love to hear them.

2 comments for “The Importance of Online Resumes or Why You Should Already Have One.

1. cmccrzy
    April 23, 2012 at 10:52 am

I think this is a really interesting idea and I am concerned with the “google-able” concept and what comes up when people look for us. I know that the obituaries for my grandparents come up when my name is searched (my grandfather was a well-known doctor).

Also… you might want to just re-read through your post at least once, since you brought up the “google-able” concept and the problems inherent there with what could come up. There are a LOT of grammar and spelling mistakes and some typos.

2. Kristjen Kjems
    April 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Besides my excessive use of the comma, I am not sure what you are referring to.
    I changed a bit of the post’s wording, but didn’t notice any spelling errors.

Send me a PM on canvas or find me on facebook.