Reddit- The Front Page of the Internet

For those of you who do not know what Reddit is, be prepared to go to this website…think it’s only been fifteen minutes, and look down at the clock only to discover that you have spent an hour of your day procrastinating.  Reddit is a social news website in which users can post their entries in one of the categories and it can be voted by other users (either up for good, down for bad).  This determines the positioning of the post on the page of the website, and influences how many views it gets.   This website has categories for a variety of different things such as politics, gamming, world news, atheism, technology, science, music, movies, and many more.  Each of these topics are presented with a strong liberal bias.  Reddit strongly emphasizes the concept of “free speech” and due to the little regulations and restrictions on what is posted on the subreddits, the website frequently contains offensive content.  There is a strong male demographic that subscribes to this website, at approximately 72%, most being within the ages of 25-34 years of age with some college experience.

This website is quickly becoming one of the most predominant online newspapers, by combining news with the aspect of social media. The aspect of social media is important to the success of the website because this narrows in on exactly what the audience wants. Reddit even gives the user the option to edit what appears on their front page due to their specific interests. The website is quickly growing with popularity.

Reddit has also been one of the most prominent websites to promote memes.  Many popular memes that have been spread throughout the web have originated and been popularized by Reddit such as the Redit Alien, the “Forever Alone” character, the “Troll Face” character, the “Y U No” character, as well as many others.  Even if you are not a frequent “Redditor” you probably see a lot of posts and pictures that are posted on Reddit’s front page, through sharing and rebloging through social networking websites.

So what does Reddit have to do with Elit? Well, Reddit is a website that is known for it’s controversially and its collaboration of new thoughts and ideas.  As in other forms of social media, you do not have to be a literary genius for people to read your work.  Social media has broadened the horizon of what it means to be published in terms of literature, and has allowed for the common person to make their ideas known.

Trollface Meme

Y U No Meme

2 comments for “Reddit- The Front Page of the Internet

1. ebrennan
    April 20, 2012 at 12:57 am

I’m addicted to Reddit! I love AMAs so much hahhh particularly for Easter, did you see God AMA? I also find amusement out of Pictures of Ian sleeping, even though it’s totally dumb. It’s silly but I go to Reddit and I feel like I’m hanging out with a bunch of people, in on the same jokes I guess. Reddit is kind of the more acceptable version of 4chan.

2. May 2, 2012 at 9:18 pm

For what it’s worth: /r/interactivefiction, /r/ludology, /r/fifthworldproblems. (Note: one of these things is not like the other.)

I rather enjoy reddit — probably too much. (My link karma is 800+, comment karma 1100+.) I even used it in an assignment for my class last semester. See /r/writingthroughmedia.