Controlling a hand by a mouse, microphone, or a webcame.

For my fourth checkpoint I tried many different games and looked at multiple digital poems until I finally found one that I liked, Toucher. Toucher “refers to physical act of touching and reflects upon the possibilities of developing haptic sensation in a digital environment.” Like another student in our class said a person controls this game by a “mouse, a microphone, or a webcam.” The picture below is what shows up when you click Serge Bourchardon, Kevin Carpentier, and Stephanie Spenle’s masterpiece. If you look closely enough all the words are in French. This game can be played in English or in French.

When you scroll over the thumb a window pops up and says, “MOVE. Touch the words, replace them and move them. The first words that are on the screen say “Do you touch me when I touch you?” Next you can move the words to come up with other sayings. All the words deal with attraction and love. The saying changes to who has the feelings depending which way you move your mouse over the words. Just by simple movements the person playing this game is able to take control of the feelings in the question.

When you click on the pointer finger a window pops up and says, “CARESS. Build a ship by caressing and following the sounds”. You can only shade in an area in which the speaker is moaning towards. At the end of this screen a shadow of a naked woman shows up. The way she is laying resembles the shape of a ship.

When you click on the middle finger a window pops up and says, “HIT. Hit the fly to be able to read the text”. Immediately this fly starts buzzing around your screening and leaving a travel of “Z’s”. The more that you try to click on the fly the faster he moves. Eventually he starts to retrace his steps. Below is a picture of this screen.

When you click on the index finger a window pops up and says, “SPREAD. Move and click the mouse upwards, downwards, and sideward’s to create a musical painting. This scene is more comfortable with headphones”. The music in this scene was smooth jazz. The faster that you made the colors spread the faster the music would go. The first time I clicked on this finger it was tie-dye pink. The next time it was tie-dye pink and green. When the whole screen is colored it automatically brings you to the pinky finger.

When you click on the pinky finger a window pops up and says, “BLOW. Bow to read the text and then to spread the words. This scene requires a microphone”. When you blow on the screen snowflakes move away from that area to show the saying “Touching with one’s finger what another person feels”.

This game was definitely one that made you think. It was very addicting. My roommates thought it was a bit strange to hear grunting noises in the kitchen, but when they realized what I was doing they got their computers out and started playing Toucher too! This game was very sexual. I disagree with what the other person in our class said. I think the authors did a great job of making this interactive. In some real life situations you aren’t actually being the one that is solely moving things, but your reactions move it. For example if you are in a car, you aren’t the object on the street that is moving. But you are in a vehicle which is moving on the road.

Here is another example of Serge Bouchardon work. It is very similar to Toucher’s interactional style. When you initially click on the link you hear nature music in the background. I took Loss of Grasp as being alone in a crowded room.

Here is a direct link if you want to explore more work by Serge Bouchardon!