If You Die in Ana Somnia You Die in Real Life

(Commentary assumes Ana Somnia player had webacam enabled.)

In approaching Ana Somnia by Kim Köster, I had to pick up haul myself through the “is this e-lit?” dance.

Said dance involves furtively going through your class notes, then the class’ class notes, then some articles on the web before honing in on the most convenient definition that enables you to do whatever the hell you want.  In this case we’re rolling with the “digital born” set of parameters of clarification for what qualifies as e-lit.
Still, that did not cover everything.
Ana Somnia is not a hypertext, it is not quite a game, and it could maybe barely be considered interactive fiction. Where I would prefer to dub it digital poetry and move on, there are almost no words at all:  A title card to tell you what you are looking at and a tired Ana informing you, “no sleepy, it’s too bright.”

With that unsettled, we are quickly thrown into a minor crisis of personal agency.
When you swing your cursor by and a butterfly takes off, or the teddy turns its head, you are secure. You have a place in the world of Ana Somnia.  Of course, a moment or two later you realize you only have superficial agency, bearing no real direction overall.  Maybe.
There’s more randomly generated output than the dovetailing effects of your seemingly inconsequential interactions.
In what passes for narrative, there are no real choices.  Knocking over that jar won’t change a thing, though you can do it if you like. You have only one real move, the extent of your agency in Ana Somnia is in making that move or not.
The dreams hurtle along without consideration for your actions or influence, no stopping for anything unless you want to start at the beginning.
On another level it’s even more interactive than any of those texts.  It could care less what you do to your keypad, and is ambivalent about your cursor, but it really really cares about light bulbs.

When the lights go off the dreams creep in and they will be there, in the dark, as long as you are.  With you until you turn on the lights.

Despite its seeming indifference to user interaction, Ana Somnia manages to break (or appears to break) the fourth wall more thoroughly than any work limited to point and click, the interaction bound to the interface.* It’s not you that affects little Ana’s dream, but the environment.  She can’t sleep with the lights on, all you can do is turn them off for her and watch the dreams climb out.

*Yes okay webcam is as much interface as a mouse or track pad but what I’m getting at is it’s different, it’s causing the user to mentally link the artificial digital environment of Ana’s room and dream with the physical environment of wherever they actually are in meatspace when interacting with the world of Ana Somnia.**

**Your light effectively becomes the light in Ana’s room thereby making her room an extension of your space, how neat is that?***

***It’s pretty neat.

9 comments for “If You Die in Ana Somnia You Die in Real Life

1. February 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

This is a cool thing. I can’t recall any other work using a webcam in such a specific way before. (I tried it with “webcam on”, and then realized that my webcam wasn’t plugged in, so I’m relying on your description.)

And as far as e-lit or e-lit genre. If it’s interesting and you can use literary concepts to better explain what’s interesting about it (agency, diegesis, fourth wall), then you’re good to go.

2. richmond
    February 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

This has to be one of the coolest/creepiest things I have ever seen. I think one of my favorite parts was the sound effects. Where did you find this piece of work?

3. July 31, 2013 at 11:12 am

I really like stumbleupon for showing me Ana Somnia. It’s quite the interesting flash ‘game’. I’ll have to try it later when it’s night time.

4. Mortal
    August 27, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Unfortunately it’s pretty easy to just cover the webcam with your hand and trick the game…

5. May 30, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I tink If you die in anna sommia you will stay alive
    IT’S ONLY A VIDEO GAME
    I call the FAKE
    no seriosly how can you die in real life wen you die in a video game

• jamiemeganson
      July 9, 2016 at 11:58 pm

momo you fucking idiot